Get PopChar now
Click download to get the newest version of PopChar for Mac or Windows. You need an older version? Scroll down to our version history.
Your download will start automatically soon - if not please press the button
- Full Ventura compatibility & improvements
- Improved linking into System Settings Permissions section
- Performance and stability improvements
Already tried out PopChar and you like it?
Great, get the full version now and enjoy all the benefits!
- PopChar is now a universal application with native support for Apple Silicon.
- On supporting keyboards, the F20 function key can be used as PopChar's hotkey.
- Internal redesign of the character rendering components improves speed and consistency between fonts.
- Improved detection of the processor type.
- Improved vertical alignment of characters within table cells.
- Improved metrics adjustments for some fonts in the IBM Plex family.
- The diagnostics report now contains information about the computer model and processor.
- Consistent vertical alignment of characters in the magnified view.
- Information about the “start at login” setting in the diagnostics report.
- Improved handling of internal scripts in certain corner cases.
- Support for SF Symbols 3.3 (new character names and layout for the “SF Compact” and “SF Pro” fonts).
- Fixes incorrect vertical position of space brackets in certain fonts.
- Fixes an issue where the magnifier sometimes stopped working after switching fonts.
- Fixes a problem where the “corner P” was partly obscured by the rounded screen corner on MacBooks with a notch.
- Fixes a problem where ligatures in certain fonts were not correctly displayed in the magnified view.
- Works around a problem that could cause a crash when PopChar tried to display information about a new version.
- Fixes a problem where some characters could not be found by entering certain name parts in the search field.
- Fixes a cosmetic issue where the window resize indicator appeared on top of open menus.
- PopChar is now built with the latest compiler and libraries for Big Sur.
- Improved detection and handling of color fonts.
- Updated internal tools (such as the built-in installer).
- PopChar now always uses the system-specific window appearance.
- New context menu for group headings: Copy all characters or their descriptions.
- PopChar now uses the standard Unicode notation (U+1234) for the hexadecimal representation of characters.
- Improved handling and feedback for window resizing.
- PopChar now correctly restores the clipboard after insertion of a character in formatted mode.
- Fixes clipped segments in the insertion mode control on Big Sur.
- Fixes an alignment issue in the Preferences window.
- Fixes a subtle tracking problem when the mouse pointer enters and leaves the PopChar window.
- Fixes a rare problem with invalid elements in the "Recent Characters" section.
- New functions in the Fonts tab of the “Character Info” window: select or mark fonts in the main window, copy a font list to the clipboard.
- Clear button for the keyboard shortcut in PopChar's preferences.
- PopChar's diagnostics report now contains information about the location of the P icon.
- In trial mode, right-clicking or control-clicking an unsupported character now displays the registration information.
- Supports the Multicolore Pro color font.
- The names of the CenonAstro fonts are now displayed in the font list in a readable font in WYSIWYG mode.
- Works around a cosmetic issue where sheet windows (like “About” and “Preferences”) appeared before the main window when opened from the menu bar icon.
- Fixes a problem where the “P” in the menu bar did not react on clicks after a command-click.
- Fixes a cosmetic issue where the keyboard icon at the bottom of the PopChar window appeared upside down on Big Sur.
- PopChar is now ready for Big Sur.
- The required minimum system version is now 10.10 (Yosemite).
- Support for Unicode 13.0 (including Emoji 13.0).
- New “Character Info” window with detailed information about any character.
- It is now possible to assign custom names to characters, which can be used in the search field.
- PopChar can now show all the fonts in which a character is available, along with the character's appearance.
- Keyboard equivalents for the context menu items when a character is selected.
- Supports the “Brand New Roman” color font.
- Built-in layout for Emoji 13.0.
- PopChar now knows the names of the characters listed in the “SF Symbols” application.
- Built-in layout “SF Symbols” for the symbols in the “San Francisco” fonts.
- Support for system-wide licenses.
- When invoked from Typinator's Quick Search, PopChar now returns only characters that are available in any installed font.
- Metrics adjustments for Apple's new “SF Compact” and “SF Pro” fonts.
- Improved detection of cases where the text presentation of an Emoji character was not yet supported on the current version of macOS.
- Significantly faster type selection in the font list (especially when font names are shown in their own font).
- Improved visibility of the PopChar icon in the translucent menu bar of Big Sur.
- Improved representation of the names in the font list for certain special-purpose fonts.
- Improved handling of keyboard navigation and shortcuts in the character table view.
- Faster search for PopChar character from Typinator's Quick Search.
- Improved visual feedback for certain operations on the selected character.
- The “corner P” now uses a representation that is easy to see against any background, especially in Big Sur's translucent menu bar.
- Works around a problem where certain hard-wired keyboard shortcuts did not work when the font list was active.
- Fixes a vertical alignment issue when Apple Color Emoji characters were displayed in small sizes.
- Fixes a problem where some context menu commands sometimes did not correctly process the selected character.
- Fixes a problem with horizontally clipped icons in the “San Francisco” fonts.
- Works around a crash caused by incorrect ligature definitions in certain fonts.
- It is now possible to minimize the PopChar window into the Dock.
- Improved metrics adjustments for Apple's SF Compact and SF Pro font families.
- Fixes a problem where the magnifier was not displayed correctly when scrolling the character table.