Get PopChar now
Click download to get the newest version of PopChar for Mac or Windows. You need an older version? Scroll down to our version history.
- Full Ventura compatibility & improvements
- Improved linking into System Settings Permissions section
- Performance and stability improvements
Already tried out PopChar and you like it?
Great, get the full version now and enjoy all the benefits!
- PopChar is now a universal application with native support for Apple Silicon.
- On supporting keyboards, the F20 function key can be used as PopChar's hotkey.
- Internal redesign of the character rendering components improves speed and consistency between fonts.
- Improved detection of the processor type.
- Improved vertical alignment of characters within table cells.
- Improved metrics adjustments for some fonts in the IBM Plex family.
- The diagnostics report now contains information about the computer model and processor.
- Consistent vertical alignment of characters in the magnified view.
- Information about the “start at login” setting in the diagnostics report.
- Improved handling of internal scripts in certain corner cases.
- Support for SF Symbols 3.3 (new character names and layout for the “SF Compact” and “SF Pro” fonts).
- Fixes incorrect vertical position of space brackets in certain fonts.
- Fixes an issue where the magnifier sometimes stopped working after switching fonts.
- Fixes a problem where the “corner P” was partly obscured by the rounded screen corner on MacBooks with a notch.
- Fixes a problem where ligatures in certain fonts were not correctly displayed in the magnified view.
- Works around a problem that could cause a crash when PopChar tried to display information about a new version.
- Fixes a problem where some characters could not be found by entering certain name parts in the search field.
- Fixes a cosmetic issue where the window resize indicator appeared on top of open menus.
- PopChar is now built with the latest compiler and libraries for Big Sur.
- Improved detection and handling of color fonts.
- Updated internal tools (such as the built-in installer).
- PopChar now always uses the system-specific window appearance.
- New context menu for group headings: Copy all characters or their descriptions.
- PopChar now uses the standard Unicode notation (U+1234) for the hexadecimal representation of characters.
- Improved handling and feedback for window resizing.
- PopChar now correctly restores the clipboard after insertion of a character in formatted mode.
- Fixes clipped segments in the insertion mode control on Big Sur.
- Fixes an alignment issue in the Preferences window.
- Fixes a subtle tracking problem when the mouse pointer enters and leaves the PopChar window.
- Fixes a rare problem with invalid elements in the "Recent Characters" section.
- New functions in the Fonts tab of the “Character Info” window: select or mark fonts in the main window, copy a font list to the clipboard.
- Clear button for the keyboard shortcut in PopChar's preferences.
- PopChar's diagnostics report now contains information about the location of the P icon.
- In trial mode, right-clicking or control-clicking an unsupported character now displays the registration information.
- Supports the Multicolore Pro color font.
- The names of the CenonAstro fonts are now displayed in the font list in a readable font in WYSIWYG mode.
- Works around a cosmetic issue where sheet windows (like “About” and “Preferences”) appeared before the main window when opened from the menu bar icon.
- Fixes a problem where the “P” in the menu bar did not react on clicks after a command-click.
- Fixes a cosmetic issue where the keyboard icon at the bottom of the PopChar window appeared upside down on Big Sur.
- PopChar is now ready for Big Sur.
- The required minimum system version is now 10.10 (Yosemite).
- Support for Unicode 13.0 (including Emoji 13.0).
- New “Character Info” window with detailed information about any character.
- It is now possible to assign custom names to characters, which can be used in the search field.
- PopChar can now show all the fonts in which a character is available, along with the character's appearance.
- Keyboard equivalents for the context menu items when a character is selected.
- Supports the “Brand New Roman” color font.
- Built-in layout for Emoji 13.0.
- PopChar now knows the names of the characters listed in the “SF Symbols” application.
- Built-in layout “SF Symbols” for the symbols in the “San Francisco” fonts.
- Support for system-wide licenses.
- When invoked from Typinator's Quick Search, PopChar now returns only characters that are available in any installed font.
- Metrics adjustments for Apple's new “SF Compact” and “SF Pro” fonts.
- Improved detection of cases where the text presentation of an Emoji character was not yet supported on the current version of macOS.
- Significantly faster type selection in the font list (especially when font names are shown in their own font).
- Improved visibility of the PopChar icon in the translucent menu bar of Big Sur.
- Improved representation of the names in the font list for certain special-purpose fonts.
- Improved handling of keyboard navigation and shortcuts in the character table view.
- Faster search for PopChar character from Typinator's Quick Search.
- Improved visual feedback for certain operations on the selected character.
- The “corner P” now uses a representation that is easy to see against any background, especially in Big Sur's translucent menu bar.
- Works around a problem where certain hard-wired keyboard shortcuts did not work when the font list was active.
- Fixes a vertical alignment issue when Apple Color Emoji characters were displayed in small sizes.
- Fixes a problem where some context menu commands sometimes did not correctly process the selected character.
- Fixes a problem with horizontally clipped icons in the “San Francisco” fonts.
- Works around a crash caused by incorrect ligature definitions in certain fonts.
- It is now possible to minimize the PopChar window into the Dock.
- Improved metrics adjustments for Apple's SF Compact and SF Pro font families.
- Fixes a problem where the magnifier was not displayed correctly when scrolling the character table.