PopChar X 6.5 (March 2014)
- Custom insertion technique for applications that do not reliably support direct event-based insertion of characters.
- Works around a problem on Mavericks that caused the search field to be cleared while entering a search text.
- Solves a problem on non-English systems, where PopChar did not remember the previously selected layout.
- Faster clipboard-based insertion of characters for many applications.
PopChar X 6.4 (December 2013)
- Faster display of the character table.
- The built-in installer now reliably cleans up temporary files after automatic updates.
- Reduced background activity by reloading the available fonts only when absolutely necessary.
- Fewer console log messages for recurring activities.
- Improved performance of application monitoring tasks.
- PopChar now detects the current font in QuarkXPress.
- Faster detection of the current application font when the PopChar window opens.
- PopChar now remembers the previously selected font separately for each application.
- When a new version of PopChar is available, a more informative message now also mentions the release date and the currently installed version.
- On Mavericks, the "corner P" now appears on the active screen on multi-monitor configurations.
- The "corner P" is now updated much faster when the screen configuration changes.
- PopChar now avoids contextual alternate forms when displaying the character table.
- Improved assistent for enabling accessibility permissions for PopChar.
- On Mavericks, PopChar now shows a more precise message when it needs accessibility permissions.
- New button locking strategy in the Registration window avoids misunderstandings with correctly registered licenses.
- Faster startup and slightly reduced memory footprint with many installed fonts.
- The total count of characters in the group menu now excludes the favorites, so favorite characters are no longer counted twice.
- Fixes an issue that resulted in warning messages about deprecated methods.
- Fixes a problem that caused the small "P" to appear along an edge of the screen on Mavericks.
- Works around a rare crash during background scanning of fonts on Mavericks.
- Fixes a problem that caused PopChar to become unresponsive when installed fonts were removed.
PopChar X 6.3 (June 2013)
- PopChar's font info view now contains a clickable link to the font file.
- New markers for transient clipboard contents improve compatibility with clipboard utilities.
- The PopChar window can now be moved with clicks in the window background.
- The window can now be dismissed with the ESC key.
- The PopChar hotkey now correctly closes the PopChar window if it is already open.
- Fixes the window position when the window header is offscreen when the window opens.
- Faster and more reliable reaction when the available fonts change.
- Fixes an issue where certain menus were blocked after clicking PopChar's menu bar icon.
- Works around a problem with dialogs in Postbox when "As in Document" was selected.
PopChar X 6.2 (March 2013)
- The command-F keyboard shortcut enters the search field.
- It is now possible to immediately start a search by typing the search string when the cursor is in PopChar's character table.
- New context menu command "Copy Character Description" copies a brief summary of the selected Unicode character to the clipboard.
- New context menu item "Copy Font List" for copying the list of font names to the clipboard.
- Support for Unicode 6.2.
- The PopChar window opens when PopChar is launched manually by double-clicking the PopChar icon in the Finder.
- New font matching technique reliably finds fonts for font family names.
- Improved appearance of the group pop-up button, in particular on retina displays.
- Solves a problem where some fonts could not be detected in certain applications (such as MS Word).
- Double-clicking the PopChar icon in the Finder no longer closes the PopChar window when it is already open.
- Fixes a scrolling issue when PopChar was launched manually with a double-click.
- Avoids blinking characters when the PopChar window was opened for the first time.
- Works around flickering window on Mountain Lion.
PopChar X 6.1 (November 2012)
- New Font Info view shows detailed information about the selected font.
- New custom tuning for more than 600 fonts, including the BeLight Font Kit and some foreign language fonts.
- Background version checks now take place only when the computer has been idle for a while.
- PopChar now remembers the selected font across quit and relaunch.
- New custom font tuning for fixing the vertical positioning of certain non-standard fonts.
- Clickable hint helps with registration and license key orders when PopChar runs in trial mode.
PopChar X 6.0.1 (September 2012)
- Fixes a text layout problem with Print Preview on Mountain Lion that resulted in misaligned and hidden text fragments.
- Improves handling of the "start at login" setting in cases where the PopChar application was renamed.
- The installer now uses an improved technique for finding the preferred destination location.
PopChar X 6.0 (September 2012)
- Streamlined user interface.
- New "Font Preview" gives an impression of a selected font by showing a few representative characters and a selectable sample text in multiple font sizes.
- New "Sample Text" shows what the font looks like when applied to typical text fragments. Various predefined samples can be selected, and you can use the "Editable Text" variant to customize your own sample text. You can use a slider to quickly view the text samples in various font sizes.
- Both the "Font Preview" and the "Sample Text" can be printed to create beautiful font sheets.
- Command+digit Keyboard shortcuts for switching the current view.
- Support for Unicode 6.1.
- Improved message in the registration window.
- Improved insertion of MacRoman characters in applications with limited Unicode support.
- ASCII mode is no longer needed and has been removed.
- The ASCII/Unicode/All control has been replaced with a pop-up button with clearer descriptions.
- The shown repertoire no longer switches between characters of the current font and the union of all fonts when switching applications.
- The Installer's completion sound now plays through the "sound effects" channel and respects the alert volume as defined in System Preferences.
- The "PopChar" pop-up menu now has a gear wheel symbol.
- Works around problems caused by corrupted font files.
- Faster background scanning of the available fonts.
- Fixes the definition of the "Phonetic Symbols" group in "Scripts and Symbols", which incorrectly contained the "Latin Extended-D" Unicode block.
- Fixes a problem with searches for character names that returned incorrect characters beyond the basic Unicode plane.
- Works around a bug in Mac OS X that resulted in an incorrect list of characters when searching for "unnamed" characters.
- Detects the current font in Adobe Illustrator CS3 through CS6.
- New technique for adding PopChar to the list of Login Items now also works for Mountain Lion.
- Faster startup, less background activity.
- Avoids occasional crashes when PopChar updated its internal data structures in reaction to addition or removal of fonts.
- Works around issues with recently used fonts that are no longer available.
- Works around a problem where the group pop-up was not visible on Lion and Mountain Lion.
PopChar X 5.4.1 (April 2012)
- Works around an issue when the Hide checkbox was enabled for PopChar in the Login Items of System Preferences.
- Fixes vertically flipped keyboard icon.
PopChar X 5.4 (April 2012)
- PopChar is now a universal 32/64-bit application.
- Optional inclusion of beta versions in the automated check for updates.
- PopChar is now signed with a Developer ID certificate in preparation for Mountain Lion's Gatekeeper.
- New technique for inserting characters avoids rare issues with certain applications.
- Simpler and faster animation when the PopChar window opens and closes.
- Works around a cosmetic issue with the "status P" in the menu bar.
- Works around an insertion problem in Scribus.
- Fixes a memory issue when checking version numbers of active applications.
- The date and time of the last update check is now correctly shown for the current time zone (instead of GMT).
- PopChar now requires Mac OS X 10.5.8 or newer.
PopChar X 5.3 (September 2011)
- Support for colored symbols in the Apple Color Emoji font (requires Lion).
- The PopChar window now remains visible in all spaces.
- PopChar now comes with a large (512x512) Finder icon.
- Improved saving and restoring technique for the clipboard contents.
- Reduces the CPU load when PopChar runs in the background.
- Fine-tuned size adjustment for the Cambria Math font.
- Works around insertion problems in Google Earth and Texmaker.
- New wording in the installer clarifies the situation when an existing license does not cover the new version.
- Works around a clipboard bug in Lion.
- Fixes an issue on Lion that caused PopChar's corner "P" to disappear after switching spaces.
PopChar X 5.2 (April 2011)
- A new custom size slider allows to individually shrink or enlarge the display per font, relative to the global character size setting in PopChar's preferences.
- PopChar now comes with fine-tuned display for more than 70 fonts, including popular fonts like Arial, Apple Symbols, Arial Unicode, Cambria, Code2000, Lucida Grande, Lucida Sans Unicode, Palatino, Papyrus, Skia, Tahoma, Times, Verdana, and Zapfino.
- Reduced background activity when the P for activating PopChar is located in a corner of the screen.
- Works around a rare lock-up during scanning of available fonts and collections.
- Solves insertion problems with Sigil, FocusWriter and TeXworks.
- Works around a problem where FileMaker Pro's Get(ActiveModifierKeys) function incorrectly reported pressed modifier keys after the insertion of a character.
- Works around an issue where PopChar could not install an event tap for inserting characters.
PopChar X 5.1 (November 2010)
- Support for Unicode 6.0.
- When a new version of PopChar is announced, it is now possible to skip just this version yet receive announcements for subsequent versions.
- New context menu item for removing characters from the table of recent characters.
- Fixes a problem with insertion of characters in Espresso.
- Removed some irritating console messages.
- Fixes a problem with insertion of plain text characters in FileMaker Pro 7 and newer.
- No longer beeps at midnight.
- Works around a problem after waking the computer from sleep.
- Works around a bug in Mac OS X that caused increasing memory allocation and slowdown when copying and pasting certain bitmap pictures.
PopChar X 5.0 (June 2010)
- Frequently used characters can now be collected in a custom "Favorites" group.
- User-definable hotkey for opening and closing the PopChar window.
- PopChar now uses a simpler technique and an improved visual representation for the menu attached to the status item in the menu bar.
- Corrects a misleading message about coverage of license keys.
- The character table now displays and scrolls much faster.
- Faster and more reliable reaction after changes to the installed fonts.
- Improved dynamic updates of special cases for specific applications.
- Works around an issue that caused the Mac OS X font manager to crash PopChar.
- Works around an issue with incorrect font geometry specifications in some fonts (e.g., TITUS Cyberbit Basic and New Athena Unicode) that resulted in large overlapping characters.
- Works around an issue that caused the window to jump to the right in certain rare circumstances.
- Uses a new insertion technique that should work faster and more reliable in most applications.
- Works around a problem that caused PopChar to hang while updating font collections after a change.
- Works around a problem with TIFF clipboard contents created by Adobe Fireworks.
- Works around a problem where PopChar could not insert characters in the title field of a note in Tinderbox.
- Works around an issue caused by the "smart quotes" feature of certain applications that prevented insertion of straight quote characters with PopChar.
- The installer displays a more prominent warning when a new version is not covered by the current license.
- Rewording of some messages clarifies the new license model.
- Installation works around a permission issue when an older version of PopChar had unusual permissions in a non-admin account.
- Fixes a problem where no text could be entered in the license key field.
- Solves a problem that sometimes caused the PopChar window to open in ASCII mode although a different view was selected.
PopChar X 4.3 (November 2009)
- PopChar now supports the font collections defined in Font Book and the Mac OS X font panel.
- It is now possible to restrict the font list to only those fonts that contain the currently marked character.
- Improved compatibility with Snow Leopard.
- Support for Unicode 5.2.
- PopChar now displays standard space characters with a visible representation that indicates the width of the space.
- New "Check for Updates" menu item in the PopChar pop-up menu.
- New technique for easy installation and update.
- Improved version checking during beta tests.
- Clipboard saving and restoration is now done more efficiently.
- Works around a problem where invalid clipboard contents could lead to a high CPU load when PopChar was not currently used.
- Restoration of the clipboard can now be temporarily turned off by option-clicking characters.
- Improved handling of special cases for Java applications.
- More flexible adaptation to applications with special requirements.
- Internal unification of various application-specific configurations and font-detection techniques.
- Avoids warning messages about certain deprecated methods under Snow Leopard.
- PopChar now has a support interface that simplifies registration and various support activities.
- The version check now includes dynamic updates of special cases for certain applications.
- Default buttons in sheets are now correctly highlighted.
- Faster font list update when the set of installed fonts changes.
- PopChar now disables the "As in Document" setting for Excel to avoid a bug in Excel that terminates editing of spreadsheet cells.
- Fixes an issue with overlapping items in the French localization.
- Works around a problem in MS Word that caused the creation of bookmarks for every copied piece of text when PopChar is active.
- Fixes a visual glitch where the magnifier could become larger than the screen for ASCII characters.
- Fixes an inconsistency between the status of the font drawer and the Show/Hide Font List menu command.
- Fixes some known memory leaks.
- Avoids a console log error message about unsupported style masks on Snow Leopard.
- Compact storage of application-specific settings.
PopChar X 4.2 (April 2009)
- New "reverse font search" feature finds all fonts that contain a given character.
- Works around a problem that caused certain third-party utilities to lock up the Mac when opening the PopChar window.
- Fixes a problem that caused PopChar to forget license information when preferences were synced with MobileMe.
- Fixes a crash in combination with certain keyboard layouts (such as Unicode Hex Input).
- Works around a bug in Mac OS X that caused incorrect vertical positioning of the PopChar table when the "use smooth scrolling" option was enabled in System Preferences.
PopChar X 4.1.1 (November 2008)
- Works around a problem with inserting characters in FreeHand 10.
- Fixes a performance bottleneck caused by repeated access to certain preferences.
- Fixes an occasional crash when expanding or collapsing Unicode groups.
- Solves a problem that caused inserted characters to appear with a shadow in certain Carbon applications.
- German localization now contains the correct quotes.
PopChar X 4.1 (October 2008)
- PopChar can now detect the current font in MultiAd Creator Pro.
- New technique for flexible adaptation to peculiarities of certain applications.
- Improved font detection technique (for "As in Document") avoids problems with unusual font/style combinatons.
- Clarified messages when a license key does not cover an upgrade.
- Works around a problem when inserting characters in OpenOffice 3.0 and NeoOffice.
- Fixes a problem that caused the memory allocation of PopChar to grow over time.
- Fixes a problem where the magnifier could remain visible on the screen after closing the PopChar window.
PopChar X 4.0.1 (June 2008)
- Fixes a problem that caused insertion of question marks in QuarkCopyDesk.
- Clicking the "P" in the top-left corner no longer opens the Apple menu instead of the PopChar window.
- Fixes the flickering of the "P" icon in the left or right corner.
- Fixes the version number in Activity Monitor, which still showed PopChar 4.0 as "PopChar 3".
PopChar X 4.0 (June 2008)
- New "All" view displays all available Unicode characters in any installed font.
- Context menu now contains a new command for copying the selected character's Unicode name.
- Support for Unicode 5.1.
- PopChar now also lists undefined Unicode characters that may be present in some fonts.
- Improves compatibility with Butler.
- Improves compatibility with CopyPaste Pro.
- PopChar now uses transparent menu bar icons that better match the appearance of Leopard's menu bar.
- Fixes some visual alignment glitches.
PopChar X 3.4 (March 2008)
- Context menu supports copying selected characters to the clipboard in various formats.
- PopChar now supports searching for characters by their decimal and hexadecimal Unicode numbers.
- Entering or pasting arbitrary text in the search field displays the characters used within the text.
- Support for Unicode 5.0.
- Automatic checking for new versions.
- Fixes a problem where typing or pasting a license key sometimes did not work.
- The "As in Document" option could cause Excel 2004 to hang on Leopard.
- Font detection sometimes caused excessive delays in certain applications.
- Fixes a problem where certain characters beyond the first Unicode plane were displayed and inserted incorrectly.
- Works around a bug in InDesign that causes InDesign CS3 to crash after copying guides to the clipboard while PopChar is running.
- Fixes a problem with font detection in Adobe Illustrator CS3.
PopChar X 3.3.2 (December 2007)
- PopChar 3.3.1 did not launch on Mac OS X 10.3.9 (Panther).
- The magnifier lens sometimes appeared with a dark spot.
PopChar X 3.3.1 (December 2007)
- Improved compatibility with Mac OS X 10.5 (Leopard).
- The corner "P" flickered in the menu bar on slow Macs.
- Works around a clipboard-related problem in MS Office applications that could lead to crashes after copying a piece of text.
- PopChar could not identify the current keyboard on certain Leopard configurations.
- Some users could not type or paste their license keys in the registration window.
PopChar X 3.3 (October 2007)
- Ready for Mac OS X 10.5 (Leopard).
- New magnifier tool shows an enlargement of the selected character.
- "As in Document" font selection works with all components of iWork '08.
- Avoids flickering of the selected character when the "As in Document" option is enabled.
- Accellerates "As in Document" font checking and avoids mismatches in some applications.
- The corner "P" of PopChar now correctly appears on all "desktops" in virtual desktop managers (such as VirtueDesktops, You Control Desktops, Desktop Manager and Codetek Virtual Desktop).
- Fixes a crash at startup that affected some users after applying the system update 2007–005.
- When a sheet was visible, characters could be selected in the partly covered table.
- Changing preference settings caused flickering of the character information field.
- Fixes a problem that could cause insertion of the current clipboard instead of the selected character in MS Office applications.
- Fixes a problem with multiple Spaces in Leopard, where the corner "P" would show up only in the first space.
- Fixes a problem where selection of characters did not work immediately after opening the PopChar window.
- Fixes an inconsistency with online renewal of license keys.
- Fixes a scrolling problem when a character was inserted multiple times.
PopChar X 3.2 (May 2007)
- New option to hide the corner "P" unless the mouse pointer is near the corner.
- New option to highlight recently selected characters with a yellow background.
- Improved handling of mouse movements avoids flickering.
- Faster display of the character table during scrolling and selection.
- The PopChar window now closes faster when the mouse pointer leaves the window.
- PopChar is now resolution-independent in preparation for future Mac OS X enhancements.
- Some characters of certain fonts occasionally appeared with incorrect attributes.
- In some situations, the preferences sheet could not be displayed.
- Certain preference settings could cause a crash at startup.
- Fixes a problem that caused slowdown after long periods of use without relaunching PopChar.
- Works around a problem with some exotic fonts that left artefacts during scrolling.
- The first character in the font list sometimes was not visible.
- The scrolling position was not always correct in the "Scripts and Symbols" view.
- Works around problems in QuarkXpress and InDesign CS1 that caused insertion of the clipboard instead of the selected character.
- PopChar 3.1 did not restore the clipboard after inserting a character.
PopChar X 3.1 (November 2006)
- Automatic font detection ("As in Document") now works with Pages (v.2.0 or newer).
- PopChar now uses a more sophisticated technique to determine the best font size to display. As a result, many fonts are now shown in larger sizes, so the characters can be recognized more easily.
- PopChar detects corrupted fonts and displays a warning message on attempts to display an unusable font.
- PopChar now uses less memory and reacts faster when the current keyboard layout changes.
- In ASCII mode, the non-breaking space character was displayed and inserted as a regular space character.
- PopChar now works around a bug in QuarkXPress that resulted in insertion of a question mark instead of the selected character.
- The "As In Document" feature sometimes failed immediately after inserting a character.
- PopChar now detects and works around anomalies in fonts with incorrect size information.
- Fixes a problem that could cause high memory load and slow response when PopChar had been active for a long time.
- Fixes a problem with certain applications that refused to insert selected characters.
PopChar X 3.0 (June 2006)
- PopChar 3 is a Universal Binary and runs natively on PowerPC and Intel-based Macs.
- The PopChar character table now appears in a window that "floats" above all other windows and can be placed anywhere on the screen.
- As an alternative to the well-known "P box" in the top-left corner of the screen, PopChar can now be configured to include a "status item" icon in the right-hand portion of the menu bar. If the space in the menu bar gets tight, the status item may disappear. PopChar detects this situation and then temporarily switches back to the "corner P".
- Instead of a font menu with hundreds of fonts, PopChar now features a font list in a separate drawer that can be opened on demand. The most recently used fonts appear in a shortened pop-up menu in the PopChar window.
- PopChar now supports font styles. The font list contains the font families only; if a family has multiple members (such as bold or italic variants), they can be selected from a popup menu in the font list drawer.
- Unicode characters can be arranged as Unicode blocks or as collections of scripts and symbols.
- There is a new Recent Characters view that displays recently used characters from the current font.
- The groups in the Unicode table can be collapsed. PopChar remembers the state of the groups across fonts and restarts. If you do not need Cyrillic letters, collapsing the Cyrillic groups gives you a better overview of the other characters.
- PopChar now knows the Unicode character names of more than 16,000 characters. The PopChar window now contains a search field for instant lookup of characters by their names.
- PopChar now supports Unicode-based keyboard layouts and displays the keystrokes needed to generate the selected character. This even works for "full Unicode layouts" that are capable to generate all characters from the Unicode plane 0.
- PopChar now comes with three separate insertion modes: plain, formatted (with choice of font size) and HTML. These possibilities have already existed in previous versions, but they are now more consistent. Beside that, every character can now be inserted as HTML.
- HTML characters can be inserted by their names or numerically.
- Fine-grained preferences options give you better control whether the PopChar window should remain permanently open or automatically close on certain actions.
- It is now possible to specify the desired display size of characters; in ASCII view, an additional option specifies whether the characters should be scaled to fit the window.
- Activation is now also possible via a menu status item.
- PopChar 3 can show all Unicode characters available in fonts even characters beyond the first Unicode plane.
- Improved transfer of characters to the current application results in improved compatibility with more applications.
- Improved automatic font detection (now available via the "As in Document" menu command) with better support for exotic applications.
- Improved feedback when automatic font detection succeeds or fails.
- The registration process has been streamlined and simplified.
- The documentation is now available in English, German, and French.
- Earlier versions of PopChar sometimes lost preference settings (including the license key).
- In some fonts, wrong characters were inserted in non-Unicode applications. Conversely, characters from certain fonts (most notably the Wingdings family) could not be correctly inserted in Unicode-aware applications.
- Previous versions did not include certain fonts for foreign languages (in particular, Hebrew and Arabic fonts). Since PopChar 3 is no longer limited to the fonts available to Carbon applications, it now displays all installed fonts.
- PopChar now works with CopyPaste installed.
- PopChar 3 now requires Mac OS X 10.3.9 or newer.
- PopChar 3 no longer supports Classic applications.
PopChar X 2.3 (November 2005)
- The "P" box can now be hidden from the menu bar; it automatically appears when the mouse pointer enters the menu bar.
- Preference setting for the number of recent fonts to be shown in the font menu.
- Preference setting for the number of recently selected characters to highlight.
- It is now possible to close the PopChar window immediately after selecting a character or to keep it open until the "P" box is clicked again.
- Improved compatibility with Mac OS X 10.4 ("Tiger").
- The PopChar X window now closes faster when the mouse pointer moves out of the window.
- Dialog windows now appear in more adequate locations.
- Clicking a disabled character in demo mode now displays an explanation.
- Fixed a scrolling problem with Apple's Mighty Mouse.
- Fixed a problem with automatic font detection under Mac OS X 10.4 (Tiger).
PopChar X 2.2.1 (October 2004)
- In rare situations, automatic font detection could cause PopChar X to quit unexpectedly when the current font could not be found.
PopChar X 2.2 (October 2004)
- Automatic font detection for most applications with a regular font menu (such as AppleWorks, FileMaker, QuarkXpress and many others).
- Easier font selection in long font menus.
- Improved antialiasing for some text elements.
- PopChar X menu instead of the macility icon makes registration and adjustment of settings clearer.
- Automatic font detection did not work in Word 2004 and Excel 2004.
- The HTML item in the font menu sometimes appeared checked when HTML mode was off.
- PopChar X sometimes used much processor power even if it was not currently used.
- In rare cases, picking a character in "styled" mode inserted the clipboard instead of the selected character.
- Fixed a corrupted message in a dialog window.
- Fixed an occasional crash when PopChar X was about to quit.
PopChar X 2.1.2 (September 2003)
- In rare situations PopChar X refused to work after restarting.
PopChar X 2.1.1 (September 2003)
- Characters that require typing a "dead key" (such as option-N) sometimes could not be inserted in Cocoa applications.
- Some characters cannot be typed with keyboard combinations on some international keyboards. PopChar X now also handles these cases properly.
- Fixed a problem with certain MacRoman characters beyond the ASCII range.
- The PopChar X application is now smaller and faster.
- Some modifications to prepare for compatibility with the soon-to-come Mac OS X 10.3 ("Panther").
PopChar X 2.1 (March 2003)
- French localization.
- PopChar X now displays a warning if it is launched directly from the distribution disk image.
- Easier update: When you start a second copy of PopChar X, it automatically quits the already running copy.
- Character insertion did not work on some pre-Jaguar systems. This was caused by a conflict with the scroll wheel support that was introduced in PopChar X 2.0. Version 2.1 now disables scroll wheel support on Mac OS X versions prior to 10.2.
- Fixed another problem with the "Start at Login" feature that could cause loss of items with non-ASCII characters in their names on certain non-English systems.
- Fixed a confusing button label in the registration dialog.
- Some button labels were truncated in localized versions.
- When the "P" box was clicked, the PopChar X window sometimes appeared and immediately disappeared again.
PopChar X 2.0.1 (January 2003)
- On some configurations, PopChar X 2.0 crashed when the front application changed.
PopChar X 2.0 (January 2003)
- Automatic font detection in Word, Excel, Illustrator, InDesign and BBEdit.
- When the option key is pressed, PopChar X now inserts the HTML codes for selected Unicode symbols.
- PopChar X now supports the scroll wheel on extended mice.
- A context click (right mouse button or control-click) in the PopChar X window and the "P" box directly opens the "macility menu".
- The preferred font and the "styled insertion" mode (including the font size) are now remembered separately for each application.
- PopChar X has been prepared for localization. Version 2.0 supports English and German.
- Some preferences could be lost under certain circumstances.
- Fixed a memory leak that slowed down PopChar X after multiple uses.
- PopChar X works around a bug in Mac OS X (versions 10.2.0 up to 10.2.2) that could lead to crashes at startup or to false alerts about a duplicate license key.
- Keyboard modifiers now appear correctly for all international systems.
- When the “P” box was clicked, the PopChar X window sometimes appeared and immediately disappeared again.
- The PopChar X window is now less transparent, which improves readability of characters.
- PopChar X consistently uses Quartz-based drawing of anti-aliased text.
- Scrolling of Unicode tables has been accelerated.
- PopChar X now uses significantly less CPU time when it is not in use.
PopChar X 1.3.1 (October 2002)
- Clicking the "P" in the menu bar sometimes did not open the PopChar X window.
- 'Start at Login' did not work when PopChar X was located directly or indirectly in a folder with non-ASCII characters in its name.
- The Finder information within PopChar X was incorrectly specified.
PopChar X 1.3 (September 2002)
- PopChar X now correctly recognizes Unicode fonts that have been created on and designed for Windows (including all fonts that are distributed with Microsoft Office).
- The Unicode categories menu now displays the total number of characters in all categories.
- PopChar X crashed under Mac OS X 10.2 when the "About", "Contact Us" or "Registration" window was closed.
- PopChar X now respects the space occupied by the dock. This avoids a problem under Mac OS X 10.2, where the PopChar X window could be partially covered by the dock.
- Under Mac OS X 10.2, the "P" in the menu bar sometimes jumped to the right when the dock was at the left side of the main screen.
- Fixed a cosmetic alignment problem with the Unicode category menu.
PopChar X 1.2 (August 2002)
- PopChar X now supports Unicode.
- PopChar X 1.2 uses the Quartz technology to display the character table. This results in better anti-aliasing for most fonts. The character table is now partially transparent.
- The feedback for selection and recent characters now appears with different background colors.
- Control characters are now displayed in dark red.
- Entering sticky mode is now easier. It is no longer necessary to click and release the mouse button very quickly.
- In the status line, the misleading term "ASCII" has been replaced with "MacRoman".
- Snapz Pro X did not work when the PopChar X window was visible.
- The status line at the bottom of the window displayed funny characters when the mouse pointer was outside of the window.
- PopChar X crashed on some Macs when the "About" command was selected.
- Clipboard-based insertion of characters sometimes did not work properly with slow applications.
PopChar X 1.1 (June 2002)
- It is now possible to move the "P box" in the menu bar. Press the command key and move the "P box" to the desired position. This helps avoid conflicts with other utilities that also activate in the top-left corner of the menu bar (such as MaxMenus).
- PopChar X now has an option to display and insert control characters.
- PopChar X displays the ASCII code and keyboard combination in sticky mode when you just point at a character.
- PopChar X is now more tolerant in sticky mode when you slip and move the mouse pointer out of the window. The window no longer disappears immediately.
- All characters are now drawn with antialiasing.
- The "Start at Login" option now works correctly.
- When a different keyboard was selected from the keyboard menu, PopChar X did not recognize the change. It displayed wrong keyboard equivalents and inserted wrong characters when the "styled" checkbox was off.
- Some fonts were displayed in tiny font sizes in one or two columns. PopChar X now correctly determines the best display size for these fonts.
- When a character was selected in "styled" mode, PopChar X sometimes deleted items from a DragThing palette.
- PopChar X sometimes displayed a non-existing character at the end of the table.
PopChar X 1.0.1 (May 2002)
- The "Start at Login" option cleared the list of login items for some users. The option has been disabled in version 1.0.1 and the problem has been fixed in version 1.1.
- PopChar X did not launch when many fonts were installed.
PopChar X 1.0 (May 2002)