PopChar Win – Frequently Asked Questions
If you have a problem with PopChar Win, please check out the documentation first. The documentation is available via the Help command in the PopChar menu.
If neither the documentation nor this FAQ page answers your question, please contact our technical support.
This page answers frequently asked questions concerning PopChar Win. When necessary, we add new hints and problem solving tips to this page.
We regularly update this page whenever we come across a topic that may be of interest for many PopChar users.
Questions and answers
Does PopChar Win run on Windows 10?
Yes, PopChar Win 7.1 and newer have been tested to run smoothly on Windows 10. If you want to run PopChar on Windows 10 we recommend to upgrade to the latest version of PopChar 7.
Does PopChar Win run on Windows 8?
Yes, PopChar Win 6.0 and newer have been tested to run smoothly on Windows 8. If you want to use PopChar on Windows 8, we recommend to upgrade to the latest version of PopChar 6 or newer.
I get an error message "An error occurred while trying to replace an existing file" during install or uninstall. What can I do?
This error can occur when PopChar is still running during the setup or uninstall process. Although the installer is checking for running instances of PopChar, it may not detect this if another user on the same PC is currently running PopChar. If this happens, make sure that no other user is running PopChar on this machine, then repeat the installation or uninstallation process.
Windows warns me that running the PopChar installer might put my PC at risk. Am I safe to install anyway?
Yes, simply click "More info" and then "Run anyway".
Windows shows this warning message for all third-party products that are not signed with a developer certificate. We plan to sign our installer with a certificate in the future to avoid this annoying warning message.
The PopChar icon does not show up in the system tray. What went wrong?
Window's notification area - sometimes called the system tray - is located on the taskbar, which is usually shown on the bottom of your screen. It contains icons of various programs. Unused icons are usually hidden, thus the PopChar icon may not be visible right after installation. You can, however, define yourself which icons should be visible.
To add the hidden PopChar icon to the notification area
- Click the arrow next to the notification area.
If the arrow is not there, you do not have any hidden icons.
- Drag the PopChar icon to the notification area.
Why does PopChar insert a space before the desired character?
In fact, PopChar does not insert the space, but rather programs like, e.g., MS Word do. The reason for this is the effort to automatically adjust sentence and word spacing after a paste operation.
In order to turn this feature off such that it no longer interferes with PopChar, proceed as follows:
For MS Word 2007/2010:
- Click the Office button.
- Click the "Word options" button in the lower right corner of the office menu window.
- Select "Advanced" in the list.
- Uncheck "Use Smart Cut and Paste" in the Section "Cut, Copy, and Paste".
For MS Word 2003:
- Choose Options from the Tools menu.
- Click the Edit tab.
- Uncheck "Smart Cut And Paste" in the Section "Cut And Paste".
Rather than turning this feature completely off, you may also customize it, i.e., click the Settings button to display more options. In the Settings dialog uncheck "Adjust sentence and word spacing automatically".
My virus scanner reports a virus/trojan in PopChar Win. How to proceed?
Before we release a product, we test it with various anti virus tools from different manufacturers. Our products are furthermore being tested by various 3rd party institutions (see the certificates on our statements page).
To our best knowledge, our distribution builds should not be infected with any virus or trojan. If you encounter an error message in this regard, it might be a "false positive", i.e., a mistake of the virus scanner. Please let us know in this case, such that we can contact the manufacturer of the anti virus tool to look at and fix it.
I know that there is a key combination for a specific character. Why doesn't PopChar show it?
In the current version, PopChar cannot display key combinations for certain characters. This will be improved in future versions.
Does PopChar Win run on 64-bit versions of Windows?
Yes, PopChar Win v 4.0 and newer runs natively on 64-bit versions of Windows.
See also the special topics covered on our Tips pages
- 10 reasons to download PopChar character map
- Astrological signs
- Chinese letters on your computer
- Download fonts
- Free fonts
- French accent marks and characters
- German letters - umlauts and the eszett
- Hebrew, Arabic, and Cyrillic TrueType fonts
- How to type Chinese symbols on your computer
- Need a better character map?
- Phonetic symbols for English and other languages
- PopChar - the easy ASCII character map
- Spanish accent marks and the Spanish tilde
- TrueType fonts and PopChar
- Typing Greek letters on your computer
- Typing Spanish characters
- Umlaut domain
- Unicode character map
- Unicode fonts
- Using Alt codes to insert special characters
- Using Wingdings fonts and Wingdings symbols
- Windows Character Map vs. PopChar for Windows
- Writing Chinese characters on your PC
- Writing Japanese characters
- Writing Spanish letters